Ameren Illinois offers customers tips for saving energy and reducing monthly heating costs
COLLINSVILLE, IL (October 29, 2018) – With cooler temperatures in the forecast, now is the time for consumers to take a look at their energy habits and identify areas where they could potentially save.
Ameren Illinois reminds its customers of the following tips:
- Periodically replace the air filters for heating systems, clean air vents regularly and make sure drapes or furniture do not block any of the vents or returns.
- Use window shades. Open the shades in the fall and winter to allow the sunlight to help heat rooms.
- Turn off all lights, appliances and electronics not in use. Consider using a smart power strip, which reduces power usage by shutting down power to products that go into standby mode.
- Change to new and improved energy-efficient LEDs for lighting.
- Use adequate insulation in the attic, ceilings, walls, floors and crawlspaces. Seal air leaks with caulk and use weather stripping around exterior doors and windows.
- Install a smart thermostat to save all year round. Ameren Illinois customers can take advantage of a $100 rebate on the cost of these devices.
Ameren Illinois offers a variety of services and programs free of charge to help customers reduce their energy use and save money. Since its inception in 2009, Ameren Illinois' Energy Efficiency Program has helped customers reduce their energy usage by nearly 12 million megawatt-hours and save $781 million. The program is ranked in the top 15 nationally by ACEEE, a leading energy efficiency organization. For more information on energy-savings incentives, tips and tools, visit AmerenIllinoisSavings.com.
About Ameren Illinois
Ameren Illinois delivers energy to 1.2 million electric and 816,000 natural gas customers in Illinois. Our mission is to power the quality of life. Our service territory covers more than 1,200 communities and 43,700 square miles. For more information, visit AmerenIllinois.com, find us on Twitter @AmerenIllinois or Facebook