St. Louis, April 24, 2013 – On the heels of Earth Day and in celebration of Arbor Day, Ameren Corporation has been recognized by The Arbor Day Foundation as a Tree Line USA utility for the 14th consecutive year for demonstrating practices that protect and enhance trees across the company’s service territory.
“Trees are a critical part of urban landscapes all across the United States,” said John Rosenow, founder and CEO of the Arbor Day Foundation. “Service providers like Ameren show that taking care of urban trees is good for business, for customers and for the broader community.”
Tree Line USA seeks to promote best practices in utility arboriculture and public education through five core standards:
- Quality tree care – The utility follows industry standards for pruning, planting, removals, and trenching and tunneling near trees.
- Annual worker training – The utility ensures that its employees and contract workers are trained in best practices.
- Tree planting and public education – The utility sponsors and participates in a tree planting and public education program designed to expand canopy and educate customers about the proper tree planting, placement, and pruning.
- Tree-based energy conservation program – The utility has a formal tree-based energy conservation program which makes special consideration of the value of trees in conserving energy.
- Arbor Day celebration – The utility sponsors and/or participates in annual Arbor Day events, and collaborates with community groups, where possible.
“Our vegetation program promotes the dual goals of dependable utility service and healthy trees throughout our service territory,” said Thomas R. Voss, chairman, president and CEO of Ameren Corporation. “Our tree trimming practices promote healthier forests, reduce tree mortality, lower line clearance costs and increase reliability of service.”
With assets of approximately $22 billion, Ameren serves 2.4 million electric customers and more than 900,000 natural gas customers in a 64,000-square-mile area of Missouri and Illinois.
CONTACT: Stacey Stockton-Shangraw, 309-677-5073, firstname.lastname@example.org; Bryan Daniels, 314-554-2182, email@example.com