Ameren Missouri encourages natural gas conservation during extended cold period, offers cold weather safety tips
ST. LOUIS (Feb. 15, 2021) – Due to the winter storms and low temperatures across the Midwest, the demand for natural gas has been peaking. Ameren Missouri is encouraging its customers to use natural gas conservatively and efficiently during this period.
"We suggest prudent use of natural gas given the low temperatures, which will also help customers save money during this extended cold period," said Pam Harrison, director of gas operations for Ameren Missouri.
The Energy.gov website recommends the following tips to reduce natural gas usage:
- Take advantage of the sun. Open curtains on your south-facing windows during the day, and close them at night.
- Cover drafty windows.
- Set your thermostat as low as is comfortable.
- When you are asleep or out of the house, turn your thermostat down.
- Keep your fireplace damper closed unless a fire is burning.
- When you use the fireplace, reduce heat loss by opening dampers in the bottom of the firebox.
- Turn down the temperature of your water heater to the warm setting.
If you lose power during a winter storm, Ameren Missouri encourages its customers to remember the following:
- Call 911 and then notify Ameren at 800-552-7583 if damage to power lines or electrical equipment occurs near your home.
- Charge cell phones in advance if there's a risk of severe weather. Consider buying a solar or battery-powered charger to use in case of an outage.
- Be cautious when using candles for light during a power outage. Blow out lit candles before leaving the room or going to bed. On average, 21 home candle fires are reported each day, with December as the peak time of year for home candle fires.
- Prevent pipes from freezing by running faucets on a drip.
- Turn off light switches and unplug appliances to prevent damage and overloading circuits once the power is restored.
- Block cold air from coming in by stuffing towels along windows or underneath doors.
Ameren Missouri has been providing electric and gas service for more than 100 years, and the company's electric rates are among the lowest in the nation. Ameren Missouri's mission is to power the quality of life for its 1.2 million electric and 132,000 natural gas customers in central and eastern Missouri. The company's service area covers 64 counties and more than 500 communities, including the greater St. Louis area. For more information, visit Ameren.com/Missouri or follow us on Twitter at @AmerenMissouri or Facebook.com/AmerenMissouri.
# # #
Ameren Missouri Communications