Ameren Illinois today reminded customers to protect their personal information so as to guard against identification theft.
Customers have complained about individuals who claim to be representatives of Ameren. In some cases, these individuals ask for customer electric bills or other personal information, claiming they could help customers save money.
Ameren Illinois issued these reminders to all customers:
Always ask to see identification. The ID carried by every Ameren Illinois employee shows the individual’s photograph, name, employee number and an official Ameren logo.
- Customers who have any questions about the identity of a utility worker should ask the person to wait outside while they call for verification. Customers then should phone Ameren Illinois at 1-800-755-5000.
- If a caller claims to be an Ameren Illinois representative and demands immediate payment over the phone or requests other personal information, hang up and call 1-800-755-5000.
- Never give anyone who comes to your home, anyone who calls or anyone who sends an email your credit card, debit card, Social Security, ATM, checking or saving account numbers.
- If a customer suspects a person is impersonating a utility worker, the customer should end the conversation and immediately call local police and then Ameren Illinois at 1-800-755-5000.
- Never let anyone in your home who wants to check your electrical wiring, natural gas pipes or appliances unless you have scheduled an appointment or have reported a natural gas leak and the person has proper identification.
- Phone the police if someone calls you and requests that you leave your home at a specific time for an alleged utility issue. The caller may be planning a burglary.
- If you believe an attempt has been made to defraud you or steal your identity, report the incident immediately to your local police department.
If you have information about scams and frauds, contact your local police or Crime Stoppers.
Additional information about identity theft and fraud is available on the U.S. Department of Justice website: www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/websites/idtheft.html.
Ameren Illinois delivers energy to 1.2 million electric and 806,000 natural gas customers in downstate Illinois, and our mission is to meet their energy needs in a safe, reliable, efficient and environmentally responsible manner. Our service area covers more than 1,200 communities and 43,700 square miles. For more information, visit AmerenIllinois.com.
# # #
CONTACT: Leigh Morris, 217.535.5228, email@example.com; Stacey Stockton-Shangraw, 309-677-5073, firstname.lastname@example.org