Throughout the year, AmerenCILCO, AmerenCIPS, AmerenIP and AmerenUE encourage the safe use of electricity and gas. Here are some safety tips:
• Never touch a downed power line. Call your local electric utility or "911" whenever you see a downed line. The Ameren numbers are 888-672-5252 (AmerenCILCO), 888-789-2477 (AmerenCIPS), 800-755-7000 (AmerenIP) and 800-552- 7583 (AmerenUE).
• When working from ladders or climbing in and around trees, check to make sure there are no power lines near you.
• If you are painting or making repairs on your house, be careful where you carry and place your ladder. Avoid contact with wires running overhead.
• Avoid planting trees in locations that will cause problems with power lines once the trees are fully grown.
• Watch for or correct problems with cords and faulty sockets. Avoid jerking on wire. It can break insulation and damage plugs.
• Avoid walking on extension wires. And don't place cords under rugs or carpets where they can be walked upon or where someone can trip over them.
• Avoid placing too many appliances on one outlet or socket.
• Never replace a fuse with one that will carry more amps or with a coin.
• Don't operate fans or heaters where small children can touch or fall on them. Keep lighting wires away from toddlers.
• Keep electrical connections off the ground and away from pools of water.
• Avoid running outdoor lights or extension cords through door or window openings where they can be damaged.
• Make sure appliances are unplugged when working on them.
• Never immerse electric appliances in water or operate appliances while using water to bathe or wash something.
• Don't leave irons unattended while irons are plugged in. Keep appliances clean, and check them over periodically for frayed wires or other problems.
With assets of more than $17 billion, Ameren through its subsidiaries, serves 2.3 million electric and more than 900,000 natural gas customers in a 64,000- square-mile area of Illinois and Missouri.
# # #